January 31, 2013

At Least Two Halves Crazy!

I totally surprised myself last weekend and somehow ended up on another 13.1 mile run to add to my half crazy challenge to run 13 half marathons in 2013.

I was surprised mainly because I headed over to Lou's for a trail run that she estimated would be 'about 10 miles'. I should've known better because the two of us rarely manage a run without some sort of adventure. This week's 'adventure' included gale force winds, big hills, flooded roads (bbrrr snow melt water = cold toes) and getting (very) lost.
Our 'about 10 mile' run turned out to be 14.5 (ouch!)

Don't get me wrong, we get a bit lost quite often but it rarely takes us 4 AND A HALF MILES away from our intended route! Believe it or not we weren't actually lost in the photo above... we were just having a look at the trail we were going to run which unfortunately had disappeared under several feet of flood water!

This shows you what we were up against on a fairly regular basis....  Just as your feet were warming up from the last paddle, you'd be faced with another one! Then there was the wind; rough does not even come close to explaining the two steps forward three steps back feeling we had. And how is it never behind you??

I can't believe after the fairly challenging runs I've been encountering recently that I'd have another hard one so soon. I'm happy that I kept with it though (not that I had much choice.. I had to get back to my car) ;). Surely I must be due an easy one soon, but if not, I hope all these experiences might prepare me well for races in the future!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! I just run the same routes all the time! I run on my own and am never more than four or five miles from home. Last summer when I was on holiday I ran some strange places and I hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photo's. I am really unfit as I have put on a lot of weight over the past six years. I have been using my treadmill every day though and I love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog, leaving a sweet comment and following along :) I am now following you and I look forward to visiting again.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I've linked this to my challenge update page!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)